Thursday, August 21, 2014

Exclusive Interview: Amelia Lily Discusses 'California' And Her Brand New Album

Earlier this week, we caught up with the lovely Amelia Lily to chat to her on the phone about her amazing new single and forthcoming album!

Since appearing on The X Factor, Amelia has had a rollercoaster of a musical journey but she's back and means business with her new pop/rock sound. It's crazy to think how much she's achieved at just 19 years old.

After releasing three singles with Xenomania, two of which were big hits here in the UK, Amelia signed a new record deal with East West Records. She's currently preparing to release her brand new single 'California' and it's fast becoming one of our favourite songs this summer; the song's chorus is undeniably catchy.

In our exclusive new interview, Amelia discusses everything from: writing songs for the new record to Zayn and Perrie's upcoming wedding. Make sure you check out Amelia's answers to our questions below.

Your new single ‘California’ is out next month and it’s pretty catchy. Was it always the plan to have the song and the lead single from the new record?
"Well, to be honest, there was a bit of a battle between two songs. It was literally that we just couldn’t decide. When I went to Warner Bros, they signed me because they loved ‘California’ so we just went with ‘California’ first and then hopefully the other song that was up there with ‘California’ will be released another time."

So do you reckon that might be the next single?
"It could be, I’m not sure yet."

For those who haven’t heard ‘California’, what would you say it was about?
"It’s about a relationship between two people and it’s a long-distance relationship so it’s quite sad actually when you listen to the lyrics. He’s in one part of the world which is America, California, and she’s in London in the UK and they’re always crossing each other’s paths and just miss each other. Basically, they just can’t get it to work so it comes to an end. But instead of turning it into a ballad, I thought let’s keep it upbeat and fun."

And you also filmed the video in Los Angeles, how was that and how did it compare to shooting the video for 'You Bring Me Joy'?
"It’s absolutely amazing. What was really nice this time is that it’s a song that I’ve written and I had a very particular vision in how I wanted the video. I wanted it to be kind of like Aqua ‘Barbie Girl’ meets Baywatch. I had a very particular vision and it really did come to life; all the colours and that’s actually one of the reasons we went to LA to shoot it. Although the song’s not necessarily about California, we knew the colours would be spectacular out there in terms of the skies and the pools and everything. So I was just so chuffed to go out there and comparing it to ‘You Bring Me Joy’, I mean ‘You Bring Me Joy’ feels like so long ago but I was a lot younger then as well so I was really nervous when doing ‘You Bring Me Joy’ but I feel a lot more comfortable now."

What was it like working with Chris Schellenger from America’s Next Top Model?
"It was mad; it was such a pleasure to work with him. He’s a really, really nice guy; I felt very comfortable around him. He didn’t make me feel awkward because it’s always nerve-wracking when you’ve got to act with a guy or a girl because you want it to look really natural on camera. And I picked Chris to be my fellow lover in the video so I had to make sure that we delivered a really good performance and I was just really pleased when we watched it back because we genuinely had a great time working with each other."


And was it hard trying not to stare at him in his swimming shorts?
"(laughs) To be honest, no, I was actually so focused on getting my parts right. I didn’t even think about it but every interview I’ve had since I got back is like; ‘Oh my God, he’s so hot!’ and I didn’t even really notice."

You also recently uploaded an acoustic cover of ‘Chandelier’ by Sia, is an acoustic album something you’ve ever thought about?
"It’s not, to be honest, but I think I definitely show my vocals off a lot more when I do an acoustic performance and I also love doing acoustic songs. It’s stripped back and also just shows people that I’m actually a singer and that I can sing as well. So I’d definitely be interested in doing an acoustic album one day."

And you’re now working with East West Records, how did that come about and how’ve you found working with those?
"It’s been amazing and do you know what; it just happened so quickly. Like, literally I’d written about four or five brand new songs and I just took them into Warner Bros and played them to East West. On the same day they were like; “We totally want to sign you, we want to release ‘California’” and it was literally that quick. I mean we had like two weeks to get everything done and usually you have like six weeks to get everything done so it was literally just; go, go, go! But it was just so exciting and I felt like there was a massive adrenaline rush there and it’s been fantastic. Like I say, it’s just such a pleasure to be able to work with such a big major label as well."

What can we expect from the album then? Do you know when it’ll be released?
"The album will hopefully be out in November and I think ‘California’ definitely gives the album a great taste of what’s yet to come. It’s still really pop but I think there's a little bit of edginess in there too; with a bit of a slight rock side of me. I’ve got a good variety on there; there’s a few ballads, a few mid-tempos and every song is about a life experience of my own."

And is it possible it’ll include the previous three singles or will it be completely new material?
"To be honest really, I haven’t actually spoke about that yet but I’m guessing it’s going to be all new material because my old sound’s 100% different to my new sound so I think it’d be a bit silly to combine the two together."



You’ve also been more involved with the songwriting on this record, are there any tracks in particular that you can’t wait for the fans to hear?
"I mean I’m not allowed to say track names, as of yet, but there is one particular song that I am really excited for people to hear. It’s quite a personal song as well."

Do you still keep in touch with your fellow X Factor contestants such as Little Mix or do you get a chance to see One Direction at all?
"I see Little Mix quite a lot to be honest, we’ve done quite a few shows together recently. They’re such lovely, lovely girls and I’m so proud of them; they’re doing amazing."

And do you reckon there’s a possibility you’ll get an invite to Zayn and Perrie’s wedding?
"Oh, everyone’s asking me this. I literally don’t know, it’s mad, who knows? I’d feel very, very blessed if I did get invited. I’m sure it’ll be a wonderful day but who knows? (laughs)"

So what would you say the rest of the year has in store for you?
"So, for me, I’ve obviously got my new single coming out and then we’re hoping to do my own tour in October which should be really exciting as I’ve never done my own headline tour before. Then: the second single and hopefully the album in November."

And finally, if you could leave one message for your Lilys, what would it be?
"Just thank you so much for just sticking by me through everything and persevering; I know you’ve been waiting quite a while for my new song. But thank you for all your love and support; and I hope you all like my new stuff and I can’t wait to see you all at my live shows."

'California' will be released on the 7th September and it's available for pre-order here on iTunes. Amelia's highly anticipated debut album will then follow later this year; we actually can't wait to hear the rest of the record.

It's a shame that 'You Bring Me Joy', 'Shut Up (And Give Me Whatever You Got)' and 'Party Over' probably won't feature on the album but her reasons completely make sense. It also means there's more space on the record for new tracks too which can only be a good thing right? Either way, we're sure it'll be worth the wait.

Are you excited for Amelia Lily's debut album?