Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Exclusive Interview: Jack Walton Talks Life Since The X Factor

Jack Walton was one of our favourite X Factor finalists last year so we caught up with him to find out how he's finding life since the show!

Since appearing on The X Factor, Jack has been extremely busy. As well as performing at gigs around the country, the 18-year-old singer-songwriter has been making magic happen in a Los Angeles recording studio.

He promises new original material is on its way soon and we personally can't wait to hear it. After chatting to Jack, we can tell you that he's incredibly down-to-earth and it's clear that he's got lots of musical ambition.

In our exclusive interview, Jack spoke about Louis Tomlinson's ongoing support and he revealed which songs he'd have considered as his X Factor winning single. Check out Jack's answers to our questions below.

You've been doing a lot of gigs lately, how've you been finding life since The X Factor?
Well it was a massive change for me from the normal everyday life that I had, just a normal lad. I’m really grateful to have the opportunity to increase my fanbase and get to do a lot more gigs and sing to a lot more people in a crowd; not just like 20 people in a pub. It’s really good, I’m really enjoying it and I’m looking forward to seeing what’s coming.

And you've recently been recording in Los Angeles, how've you found working in the studio?
"Well, that’s where my heart is when I’m in the studio enjoying myself. I love writing and recording my own music, getting involved. I’ve been doing some sessions with different writers, getting different vibes and hopefully I should have a big collection of new music to show everyone so I’m looking forward to it."

Can you give us any clues about what sound you're going for?
"Yeah, I’ve been told that it’s a mix between John Mayer, Kings Of Leon, The 1975 and that sort of vibe. It’s quite live and it’s kind of a commercial, indie, sort of rock kind of vibe."

So who would you say some of your musical influences are?
I got brought up on a lot of old school rock so people like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. It’s not really people that are about nowadays but I have a lot of idols that are in the industry now like Ed Sheeran’s a massive one; he writes a lot of his own stuff and seems a good guy. Sam Smith - I’m loving his sound and he’s got a really good vocal. I think he could do some happier songs though; he’s a very emotional guy Sam Smith. But yeah, probably them really. I’d like to say that I’m not a massive fan of one particular artist but I like all sorts of music.


Going back to The X Factor, you were easily everyone's favourite wildcard choice. How did it feel to be picked by Simon to go back onto the show?
Yeah, that was a massive thing for me because I always looked at Simon as the guy who would eventually sign you to a contract and get you a deal. It was a massive confidence boost for me because it is Simon. I would have appreciated it from the other judges obviously but when it’s the guy who owns the show, he’s the boss man, it’s a compliment to me really and my music. It gave me a chance so cheers Simon.

And Mel B was, of course, your mentor - how did you find working with her? Have you kept in touch with her or any of the other X Factor finalists?
Mel B yeah, I was really young when she was out and about. I was just born when she had a number one album so I found it hard to connect with her on a musical level but she’s a really nice woman. She told me what she wanted, what she didn’t want, she was really honest. I haven’t really kept in touch with her, I’ve been really busy but I’ve kept in touch with a couple of finalists like Ben and Fleur; I got along with them really well. Jake obviously, I was friends with Jake before the show, so I’ve kept in touch with a few but it’s hard because everyone’s busy doing their own thing and working hard. It’s hard to stay in touch but I try my hardest."

Louis Tomlinson also supported you from the very start of the show, how did it feel to have the backing of someone from One Direction?
Yeah, I mean that’s massive. Obviously One Direction has got the biggest, craziest fanbase in the world right now and to get recognised by someone of his stature is really good. It’s really cool and he really did help me out a lot. Obviously, when he says something, a lot of people listen to what he says so hopefully they’ll believe him.

We particularly loved your cover of 'Ain't Nobody' by Chaka Khan but if you won The X Factor, what would you have chosen as your winning single?
Oh sweet. If I could pick out of any song, it would be a tough decision between ‘Waves’ (Mr Probz) and Chaka Khan's ‘Ain’t Nobody’. Funnily enough, they were the only two songs that like I had an input with. The only two songs that sort of I chose and I did my own rendition so that was quite interesting that a lot of people say that they were their favourite songs. It’s quite a compliment.

We heard you weren’t massively keen on ‘Eye Of The Tiger’?
Yeah, I wasn’t a massive fan of that one. *laughs* It’s a good tune for when you’re at a party somewhere but it’s a bit of a novelty song I think.



For anyone considering auditioning for The X Factor, what advice would you give them?
My main advice for going on The X Factor is be yourself; that’s easy to say but it’s hard to do. Just concentrate on what you want to sound like and what you want to be as a person because people won’t just look at your singing. They’ll be judging you on your personality as well which is a massive thing and try not to be nervous and shy even though it’s like almost impossible. Be confident because everyone loves a confident person.

Just recently, you featured on a duet called 'Goin In' with Tom Zanetti, how did that come about?
Me and Tom are from the same area. I sort of knew about him and his rapping, his MCing, his nights and stuff. And he knew about my acoustic music. We thought ‘why don’t we put something together?’. The track was actually recorded and written a while before X Factor, we’ve been trying to work on it for ages but I think he just thought it was the perfect time to release it with what has gone on.

And if you had one dream collaboration, with anyone alive or dead, who would you choose?
Oooh, alive or dead. I’d love to collaborate with Tori Kelly or Devlin. I like Devlin, he’s a good rapper. I’d love to write with Ed Sheeran if I got the chance. I’ve just named loads of people, there’s a massive list. I saw Ed Sheeran live at X Factor and he was awesome.

What does the rest of 2015 have in store for Jack Walton?
I’ve been doing a lot of writing, a lot of recording which is taking up time to do gigs so I haven’t been able to do as many gigs as I’ve wanted to do. I think it’s important to focus on what’s going to come in the future and hopefully that’s going to be my own music in the charts. I’ve got a couple of sessions that I need to finish off.

If you could leave a message for everyone who's supported you on your journey so far, what would you say?
"The message I would give to everyone who’s supported me is a big thank you and don’t give up on me. I’m gonna give some really good music, I’m putting my heart and soul into it and hopefully you’re going to enjoy it."

In a way, not winning The X Factor may have been a blessing in disguise for Jack. He obviously wasn't completely happy with the songs chosen but he's now made a name for himself and should have more creative control.

We're excited to see what the rest of 2015 has in store for Jack Walton. At the moment, he's sensibly taking time to perfect his music and we have no doubt that it'll absolutely be worth the wait. Without wanting to rush things, we're hoping that a new single or EP will be released this year but that's just because we can't wait to hear them.

Watch Jack smash his cover of 'Ain't Nobody' below!